Perinatal (pregnancy) and postpartum mental health (PMADs)
For new moms, it can be upsetting and frightening to have feelings about motherhood that don’t seem “right.”
For some women, talking to a therapist who specializes in dealing with motherhood issues can be comforting, relieving and enlightening.
Therapists who have extensive education and training in post-partum disorders understand that hormone changes, personal and family history, cultural and identity concerns, and social support are all vital factors in understanding and alleviating postpartum symptoms.
Dr. Houdek is certified in perinatal mental health (PMH-C) and enjoys working with future, soon-to-be, new and seasoned mothers. Adoptive parents, dads, partners and non-traditional family constellations are welcomed at EECS!
Common postpartum symptoms include:
- Feeling overwhelmed and wondering if you should have become a mother in the first place
- Feeling guilty due to high self-expectations
- Not feeling “bonded” with the baby
- Your thoughts are racing and you can’t quiet your mind
- Intrusive thoughts or worries about your baby’s safety and/or health
- Feeling empty and numb as if you’re just going through the motions
- Lack of focus and concentration
- Being afraid that if you reach out for help, others will judge your inabilities
- Thoughts of running away or leaving your baby behind
- Being constantly in a state of worry
If one or more of the above symptoms resonates with you, I invite you to CONTACT me today for a free consultation.